27 April, 2005

Oh no!

Sitting here working away and all of a sudden the skies went completely black (really sudden, was quite wierd, it made me stop what I was doing and glance up) then just at that moment a massive crack of thunder shook the windows (which made me jump) and within about 30 seconds something heavy and persistent was smashing into the glass, I leapt up from the PC and threw open the curtains to see at least half an inch of ice covering all my tiny seedlings! Argh! I ran into the kitchen to grab something, anything to try and cover them up, great! Only one black bin bag! So I grabbed some Tesco bags from the Ikea carrier bag tidy and flew back across the living room, and struggled (horror movie style) with the two locks on the back door, gave it a gentle kick to send it open as quickly as possible and dived out into almost solid crashing ice, not solid hail so much as "firm" slush...nice...
Click for a larger image...
Anyway, once the cloudburst had subsided a little, I dared to venture outside again and remove the improvised shields, and took the shot above (in a bit of a hurry as it was still chucking it down), check out the piles of slush on the fence to give you an idea how severe it was, and this was after about 10 more minutes of rain after the ice...

No comments: