20 August, 2005

Oh, what a trip...

...It's now half eleven at night (UK time), here in New York we are just pushing half six in the evening...Zzzzz...gonna push on through as late as I can...starting to get peckish now after my second meal of the day on the plane...

Got extra leg room sorted at check in, no way I fit into any economy sized seat, although the size of some of the people (girth rather than height) that *do* manage to cram themselves in amazes me sometimes...

Flight began on time, I had an empty seat next to me (which was excellent!), and had a tiny child that refused to put on her seatbelt and cried constantly for about 15 minutes sitting one row behind (which was not excellent)...cabin crew eventually had to tell her mother to either force her into it or leave the plane, so the child was forcibly strapped in and promptly fell asleep...honestly...

Click for a larger image...
I watched the first part of Michael Palin's "Himalaya", then a documentary about people who hear words and then either see a colour or get a strong flavour depending on which word it is (which was very interesting, it's called "synsethesia"), then watched about six episodes of a show called "Spaced" which was very funny (got the guy out of "Shawn of the Dead" in it), then a couple of episodes of "The Simpsons" and then it was time to land (they actually had a few episodes of "Lost" on offer as well, including the pilot (was that really a good idea for in-flight entertainment??)...but it all passed rather painlessly...the food wasn't too bad either, Beef stew for lunch and a chicken ceaser salad roll for dinner...


I was the first through immigration (could walk quicker than everyone else), and my bag was the first one on the conveyor belt! I knew exactly where the cabs were to be found -
Click for a larger image...
- only two mishaps on the way into central Manhattan, first the taxi driver nearly had a crash and spent 2 minutes not looking where he was driving hurling abuse at the responsible driver and exchanging rude hand gestures, then we passed a broken down cab and had to stop and pick up the stranded passenger (who was from Belgium), so that lucky cabbie got two lots of 60 bucks for his trouble...

Anyway, apart from it being extremely hot (28 degrees centigrade at the moment!!) all checked in, room is about the same as the last one I had (which is perfectly good), my mobile phone works (phew, cos I forgot to enable "roaming" last time), the hotel has internet access (hence these posts and pics) and I'm ready to begin my evening now, which I believe will start with a drink in the hotel bar, move on to "Houstons" for "Knife and fork ribs" recommended by "B", and finish with a bit of TV or reading my book back in my room...

Good night... ;)

No comments: