21 August, 2005

Walkabout...

...here are a few shots from my walk this morning, it's *soooooo* hot here...I'm just not used to it, I think it's the humidity rather than the actual temperature as we regularly get these kind of temperatures back home, but with zero humidity and a constant breeze...(not a breath of air here, it feels like you're in a rain forest exhibition at the zoo)...

The view east when you walk out of the hotel (and stand in the road) -
Click for a larger image...
- looking down Park Avenue (Downtown) -
Click for a larger image...
- a real school bus(!) -
Click for a larger image...
- a guy being arrested by loads of cops(!!) -
Click for a larger image...
- Empire State Building again, observation deck shrouded in cloud, not much point going up there today -
Click for a larger image...
- steam pouring from the vents in the road -
Click for a larger image...
- and some more impressive examples -
Click for a larger image...
- Fifth Avenue -
Click for a larger image...
- Macy*s, the very large department store -
Click for a larger image...
- roadsigns on Broadway (walking towards Times Square after getting a little bit lost, probably should have taken my map out with me!) -
Click for a larger image...
- very tall buildings here -
Click for a larger image...
- and into Times Square, all the shops during my walk (apart from diners, delis and drug stores) appeared to be shut, it doesn't look like anything gets going really until around 11am in New York on a Sunday -
Click for a larger image...
- at this point, feeling rather dehydrated and sweaty I gave up and hailed a cab (with aircon thank goodness, the guy that took me from the airport yesterday just had the windows open *gasp*) back to the hotel to sit it out -
Click for a larger image...
- was sitting quietly watching a bit of TV when despite putting out my "Do not disturb sign" the maid (who didn't seem to understand English very well) insisted on me leaving (by pointing out the door, waving her rubber gloves and saying "Please, clean room?"), so here I am back in the Business Centre...! I think the doorman is getting a bit sick of having to leave his post to let me in here... ;)

No comments: