30 September, 2005

So, just a few pics from...

...the last couple of days (by popular demand! ;) - Got to Olympia *rather* early, as I said, and was welcomed by perfect photo weather -
Click for a larger image...
- I followed the handily placed signs, (admittedly, it should have been a clue that I wasn't walking along surrounded by people in suits and ties, rather than women pushing/dragging screaming young children in school uniform, *but*) -
Click for a larger image...
- when I got to the entrance, it was closed...it turns out the exhibtion doesn't open to the visiting public until 10am, so I had an hour to burn...(curse my early rising overenthusiasm)...

The only people allowed in at this time of day were a constant stream of motorbike couriers, arriving hauling piles of forgotten freebies (pens, stress balls etc.) and boxes of leaflets that didn't make it into the back of the salesperson's cars in error and now had to be rushed to the venue at the last minute (and at great expense) -
Click for a larger image...
- anyway, even though I wasn't *hugely* hungry I went to find a cafe for a bite to eat (plus cup of tea) - once there, I settled at the counter and glancing up at the menu I did rather have to stop myself laughing out loud(!) -
Click for a larger image...
- suffice it to say I opted for the "Breakfast courses" rather than the scary ones - the result arrived by dumb waiter after a heeldraggingly long wait of almost 25 minutes (even though I was only the 2nd customer they were rushing to serve...heaven knows what happens when the place is busy!) but it wasn't too bad and was certainly reasonably priced -
Click for a larger image...
- after reading the paper (dull) and eating my fill (average) I wandered back to the entrance, which was now thronging with activity. I was just in time to watch with amazement as the guys from 888.com turned up (in a huge SUV limo liveried with their logo!) which was, actually, quite impressive -
Click for a larger image...
- and after a short wait in the queue access was granted and I was in. Equipped (ready or not) with a large shoulder bag by the welcoming comitee and started on the really important part of the event - grabbing as many mouse mats, pens, sweets, rubber ducks and key rings as I could from every stall possible -
Click for a larger image...
- got quite a good haul too... ;) Less importantly, got to meet a lot of people in "the trade" (even some who I had/will shortly deal/be dealing with) and saw their new products, had a few seminars (for "seminar" read "hard sell to captive audience in exchange for a small plastic gift")...and was generally disapointed that I couldn't get on a few of the sessions for the paying deligates (there were at least 3 that would have been super-relevent to me, but the price tag for those bits of the event was £900...a bit hard to justify)...anyway, it's been one of the better conferences I have attended and I had a great time... ;) I'd certainly go again...

No comments: