31 January, 2006

Oh joy...tonsillitis...

I'm poorly but I'll paint you the picture...last friday I noticed my breathing was somewhat restricted, my throat was a little sore...I wasn't too bothered as Flyingpops had been ill last week with a bit of a cold, thought I might be getting a dose (fair enough if you share your environment closely with someone poorly)...Saturday I woke up with my throat closed, painful too, and a nasty uncomfortable feeling all over my chest, in the morning I told Flyingpops about it, I said I thought it felt like the start of a chest infection (as of old) but I wasn't sure that it might be indigestion, so I took some peptobismol (to no avail)...Sunday, throat was worse but having much to do, I soldiered on and again on Monday went right into work, but found it almost impossible to eat or even drink without severe pain...last night, again having not managed to eat hardly anything, when I did finally drift off I don't think I slept for more than half an hour at a time...sweats and chills, and an angry ache around my throat (right round to behind my ears)...when the alarm went off I'd already been awakened at least an hour before by tonsils throbbing with pain...it's like i'd eaten far too much chilli in my sleep... :(

Anyway, that was it, I got an appointment (a lucky cancellation) at ten past nine (the office in the surgery opened at 0830 and I was on the phone right away, I think my croaking might have spurred them to action)...walked up the hill (found a short cut through the countryside by the golf course, past the abandoned helipad) and got there a few minutes early...impressively I managed to fall asleep in the waiting room, the Doctor had to come out and wake me up for my examination (rather embarassing)...

Anyway, once on the couch, due to my history of chest infections he checked me over thoroughly, but my chest was clear (cold stethascope, was too drained to complain though), he took *one* look at my throat (with one of those tongue sticks and a little torch) and said (indian accent) "Throat infection, looks like it has caused tonsillitis, quite a severe case. This can be (a) viral or bacterial infection, go home and rest, drink plenty of water. The high temperature you are suffering will cause you to sweat and become dehydrated. Take paracetamol for the pain, if the pain is not gone by Thursday morning, I want you back in here, if you suffer breathing difficulties with the tonsils come back in here immediately, as they are quite enflamed"...

Blissfully managed to sleep for 2 hours this morning (when I puffed myself back down the hill)...throat pain and a phone call woke me up just around one, and sips of cold water are giving me some relief...just hope I can fight this off without antibiotics...

Oh and looked it up on the internet, just before posting this, and it turns out there is a good and slightly chilling reason he mentioned the breathing...because if it does become difficult they routinely surgically remove the tonsils to prevent choking...

Fink closes his eyes...*shudder*... :(

So...I'm resting...! Assuming it's viral, I'm better by Thursday morning...fingers crossed...back to bed now...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no, think you'l be ok for Saturday? Jonks phoned today to say he's getting a cold and I've been up all night with leg pains and feeling like crap at present. I'll order three wheelchairs if necessary.

Anonymous said...

hope your feeling better soon. missing your news. take care. R&A

Anonymous said...

Out standing ho joy tonsillitis wish he all the best.