21 February, 2006

.aa to .mp3 conversion

Okay, I've gone through this so you don't have to...Ricky Gervais, in his wisdom, has decided to release his podcasts in .aa format which my Sony PSP won't play, so in order to turn them back into regular .mp3 files you need to go through the following procedure -

Convert .aa to .mp3

1) Install the nonsense that is mandatory to play .aa files (you'll go through that bit when you register at Audible.com)
2) Go here and grab the free version of "Total Audio Converter", install it, choosing all the default options
3) Grab this file
4) Grab this file (put it in the same place as the .dll you grabbed in step 3) and then run it, hit "install" and then "close" (when it's done), then you can delete both the .dll and the .exe
5) Re-boot
6) Launch "Total Audio Converter", navigate to the .aa file in the central dialogue, hit "MP3" in the "Convert to" bar at the top, then hit the "finish" button, then hit the "continue" button - you *may* see another dialogue box appear asking you for a logon and password, if so insert the logon and password you specified when you registered for Audible.com
7) Wait a few seconds then enjoy your shiny new .mp3 on your non-.aa playing audio device of choice... ;)

Update - looks like they may have done something to cripple the larger file size transfer process, if you get a hang at about 50% just download one of the other quality offerings and try again...happened a couple of times now...

Update Update - Looks like you can also use Goldwave 5.12 to do the conversion easily enough, as my Total Audio Converter trial period just ended and we have at least one Ricky Gervais podcast on the way...it's very easy, just do "File", "Open" then choose a filetype of "All" from the dropdown menu, once it has imported, just do "File", "Save As", then choose MP3 and off you go...peasy... ;)

Update update update - Audible really are being selfish, cutting all links to files, so I suggest just going with the Goldwave solution for the time being (a$$h0l3z)...

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

i do thank you for this

Anonymous said...

Yeah thanks dude, i just wanted to be able to play the files on my phone, well done

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. It seems to work ....

Unknown said...

My pleasure... ;)

Unknown said...

Just put them both in the same folder (anywhere), C:\temp (for example) will do just fine...

Unknown said...

Another bit of the C library missing...Audible really need to sort their sh1t out... ;)

Anonymous said...

I wasn't able to add my audible login, it just failed...? Please tell me there is a way.... PLEASE!!

Anonymous said...

Just use the Goldwave solution, it won't ask for the logonid or anything

Anonymous said...

on 2 season 3 now, still workins thank u

Anonymous said...

The total audio method comes up with an error saying to check my files are regestered correctly or something...whatever that means!
The GoldWave method just opens and converts the .acc as a mass of static noise.

This is so frustrating, but good on you for your guide.

Anonymous said...

this is .aa conversion guide not .acc, not .acc encrypt header

Anonymous said...

Just installed GW 5.17 (the latest).
When trying to open .aa file I receive the following message:
"Cannot determine format of file:
......
Please specify a format below:

File type: RAW vs. Dialogic
Attributes: ADPCM 4bit, mono, (and many other options...)
Rate (Hz): 8000 (and again, many other options)"

I have tried many combinations and the file always ends up containing static and is then converted to MP3 with only static.

Please help,

Anonymous

Anonymous said...

I use tunebite to convert protected M4P AA to MP3. It is simple-handle. Also you can download the software from

http://www.soft29.com/audio_converter/tunebite_premium.html

Unknown said...

I tried everything here, nothing worked for me BUT... I did find a program that did work for converting aa files to mp3 files. Its "SoundTaxi" http://www.soundtaxi.info/
It cost me $14.95..very reasonable and stopped me from banging my head against the wall finding a program like this.

Siroos Sekhavat said...

YOu're the man!
thanks dude!
worked like a charm even with the trial version of the software.

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to get in touch with you Finkangel? I would really like to say a few things to you personally via email. I failed to find any emails on any of your blogs:(

Anonymous said...

You.. simply... KICKASS!!!

Thanks alot!

Regards.

Anonymous said...

I did this today, 1-22-08, with Total Audio Converter and the files you listed. Everything worked perfect...thanks!

Anonymous said...

1/25/08
I tried using Total Audio Converter, did all the instructions, but I get an error when converting saying "Cannot Convert File. Make sure your Audible book is registered correctly".

Any thoughts?

rinrin said...

Medyo, I was having the same problem. It seems that one of the dlls is missing and one of the applications can not be started. Just place msvci70.dll and msvcr70.dll into your system32 folder and retry.

Anonymous said...

Good job on this. Before this hack i tried a prog called tunebite and it tried to play the aa file through an audio devie and capture the sound, your fix is much better, thanks

Anonymous said...

After following rinrin's advice, this worked (6/20/2008) great! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

[sept2008] the .dll needs to be added to your windows/system folder.
For me audio converter didnt work, however Goldwave (5.23) worked just fine once I placed the dll in the correct folder a 100mb .aa file is taking roughly 15/20 mins to rip to .mp3

Anonymous said...

my total audio converter says "cannot open file". Tried everything on this thread. Ideas?

Anonymous said...

Awesome, when will these jerks realise that we will always beat their DRM and play our paid for files on any device we choose!?

nic said...

awesome! ran across your blog, used goldwave to convert to mp3, and everything works super. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

No luck here. Got Goldwave but when I try to convert it tells me I dont have mscv170.dll though I've downloaded it twice.

AA said...

Does it support batch conversion? I have mutiple aa files on computer that need to convert to mp3