19 April, 2006

Travellers at East Surrey Hospital

Aftermath of the travellers... #1
Now, this kind of sucks (never thought I would say that) because we had a load of travellers turn up right by the hospital, about 30 caravans (moderm, pristine), 7 horses (old and manky) and what seemed like somewhere around 100 children (who were all over the trees, yelling and hitting each other), but the police came and turfed them out before I even plucked up courage to go and take a pic! They were there one day when we left for work, there when I came home on the bus, there (with a police van) the following morning (the police were talking to themselves, all the gypsies being still in bed), then when I got home they had gone - and in their place workers had arrived and were erecting these earthworks...I had never wondered why all the other green land around us was surrounded by ditch and rampart....suddenly it all became clear - caravan baffles...! I can honestly say I've never seen the council move so quickly... ;) There must be a history of Gypsy occupation in the area though, as under the bridge at Three Arch road is a very, very old painting of an "Evil Eye"...I'll try and take a picture sometime, but I'm normally on the bus or in the car when I go past it, so it might take me a while...Anyway, the sum total effect of their visit amounted to the following -
Aftermath of the travellers... #2
- some horse poo (quite a lot actually) -
Aftermath of the travellers... #3
- a small hole containing a battered, and I assume broken "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers speaker effect earpiece" (I had thought it was a bluetooth headset at first) -
Aftermath of the travellers... #4
- and the remains of a small fire...so despite tales of terrible impact on the land they settle on, we either got off fairly lightly, or the tales aren't true...mind you, they didn't really have much of a chance to make a mess...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Believe me mate the tales are true, I lived near a pikey camp in Ewell and you wouldn't believe the mess they made, and they used to nick the washing off the lines too. You were very lucky

Unknown said...

I think it was cos they were right by the hospital, the council just couldn't risk it...