10 May, 2006

The Crinan Street Ghost

The office where I work, in Crinan Street (in Islington (in London)) is not a modern structure, it is an imaginative conversion of a building constructed on the banks of the BattleBridge Basin in 1903 (in order to house a bottling plant, administrative office and warehouse)...so it's got a bit of history behind it...
Desk ornament
Now, (stick with me) this is my desk ornament, from the "Kinder Egg" scary halloween range from last year...Flyingpops built it at Earlswood station, kindly gifted it to me, and I brought it into work and it's been living on my desk ever since...very strangely though, each day when I come in he has either moved or bits of him have been dismantled, and the empty shell cases next to him are usually under the keyboard...a bit annoying...but I just pick him up, or pop him back together and get on with things...(thinking incautious cleaners)...
But, it turns out, little incidents like this are not uncommon around the place, when I began to prod, stories of desk events of a similar scale began to emerge from all over the office, and not the kind of thing you would think that the sole, kindly-looking cleaner could even conceivably have *time* to accomplish during her rounds, let alone have the inclination to - Moving mice, vanishing pens, repeated keyboard leg retractions (always the same one, night after night after night) so much so that one colleague (DJMathu) resorted to firmly selotaping his up!
Stories have also emerged from colleagues who work in the office late at night having odd feelings, or seeing things, one report spoke of a floating apparition, that when stared directly at promptly vanished, and another eye witness who wished to be referred to as 'ego sum mercator' said "one time I was walking up to a door with nobody around and for no logical reason I completely jumped and span around, convinced a person was right behind me"...he is also the person that clued me up to a hidden treasure, lurking in one of the fire escapes -
Hidden War Memorial
- looks like a number of loyal workers passed away during the war, did they die here, or on the front, perhaps leaving unfinished business...?

So, do we have a bored security guard, a cleaner who could be a bit more careful - or - is something else going on...of a more supernatural nature...?

BOO!! ;)

6 comments:

kipperfrog said...

Oooh scary!!

Unknown said...

How about training a wee web cam on your little man? Don't suppose there's a tube line under your gaff.

Anonymous said...

I had the same idea about the camera,what a boring idea saying its all down to movement from the tube!

Unknown said...

Hehe... ;) There is just too much disruption for it to be random vibration, plus the tubes kind of stop during the night and are super active during the day, and it doesn't happen while anyone is in the office...

Anonymous said...

The ghost exists. It spooked me in the loos.

Unknown said...

Spooky!! Anyone else?