23 May, 2006

Mystery on the number 17 bus...

The number 17 bus...
So, in an effort to get in really early (got some stuff I need to sort out at the bank in Redhill later on today which will necessitate an early departure), I got the early train into London Bridge, trotted to the bus stop (was 2 people from the front of the queue) and was able to pay my £1.50, zoom up the stairs and claim my favorite seat (right at the front on the right)...the majority of the journey passed uneventfully - that is, until we got to St Paul's Cathedral -
St Pauls
- at which point my casual reading of Metro and occasional photography was interrupted by a scruffy looking black guy who was sat in my second favorite seat (right at the front on the left) making a phone call (he spoke in an odd hybrid Jamacian/South London accent, and at an extremely high volume, immediately attracting the attention of everyone on the upper floor of the bus) -

"Yeh Man, yalrite? I'm just look in me cigarette packet and..." (pause)
"WELL WHAT D'YE TINK I'M CALLIN YEE ABART...!??" (pause)
"WHY D'YE TINK ME RING YOU TWICE TODAY??" (tinny sounds of shouting coming from his handset)
"NO Man! NO!! It was Marsha! She teld me when she was tidy'n up LAST NIGHT to put it safe! I'm SEERIUS MAN!" (more tinny yelling)
"LOOK MAN! I'm ON DE BUS!" (pause)
"NO, I JUST LOOK IN ME PACKET AND IT STILL THERE..." (louder tinny yelling for about 10 seconds while the man holds the handset away from his head looking exasperated)
"LAST NIGHT!! I TELL YOU!!!" (pause)
"NO MAN! IT STILL IN DE WRAP! I WASN'T NICKING NUFFIN!" (pause)
"LOOK MAN! I'M ON DE BUS! I CAN'T TALK" (pause)
"Look, I'm nearly home...I'll call ye from dare..." (yelling in full flow gets cut off as the suspect hangs up)...

So, pop quiz (based on the evidence gleaned from our side of the (oh so) subtle exchange witnessed) - Name an item that -
  1. Requires a "wrap"
  2. Would fit into and might logically end up being stored in a cigarette packet overnight for "safe" keeping
  3. Cannot be spoken of while travelling on a bus
  4. Might conceivably be considered worth stealing
  5. When accidentally(?) ferried away, even for a *temporary* removal, generate what sounded like a great deal of stress and anxiety on the part of both original owner and present carrier...?

I've got my theory... ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cillit Bang?

Unknown said...

HEH ;) Maybe a squirt or two...would ruin your fags though... ;)