05 July, 2006

Earlswood Commute - Serious delays - 5th of July

Earlswood station...
Super muggy today, I can best describe it as like being in the wet half of the Eden Project...sticky, hot, close...sweat your constant companion...so as you can imagine I was thrilled to discover that a lightning strike on a signal box down near Brighton had caused serious disruption of all First Capital and Southern trains...
Display all wrong...
They couldn't even get the signs right...we sat at Earlswood for about 40 minutes watching the expected time of arrival change in increments of 2 minutes (after the actual time had passed) until at 0822 it finally jumped back to being expected at 0804 again...brilliant...I even had the pleasure of watching the train I was planning on catching (at Redhill) zoom past (full and standing)...

When a train did finally arrive (a Victoria one) I decided just to stay on it (it crawled, and the aircon wasn't working), waved my (probably) invalid ticket at the guard at the barrier once there and he waved me through, hopped on a number 73 mobile sauna, which promptly broke down leaving me standing in a tropical storm near Tottenham Court Road waiting for another one to come along (about ten minutes)...then had to walk (again in the luke-warm rain) up to the office...finally sat down at my desk about an hour and a quarter later than usual...

Nice... >:(

No comments: