07 September, 2006

Cornwall update - Widemouth Bay and the Raven Surf School

And so to the 27th...and to the beach at Widemouth bay for a 2-3ft messy day (surf-wise), couldn't get into the water myself thanks to the finger, not that it would have been worth it, but still got a few nice snaps (even mit handicap)...
Cornwall 2006 #19
- most notable event of the day was right at the start (unfortunately), and this is after *years* of frequenting Widemouth bay, is the very peculiar behaviour of the young lady left in charge of the Raven surf school van (http://www.ravensurf.co.uk) who asked (hilariously) if we would move our camper and car in case they needed to move their van, this was petty, and funny for the following reasons -

  • We *hadn't* blocked them in
  • She was immediately aggressive and nervous, to the point that she really looked embarassed by what she was saying (Why? Was she instructed by someone to be objectionable? She was certainly very uncomfortable...)
  • We spoke to the parking guy (as advised by her when we expressed our disbelief) and he said "As far as I'm concerned you can park whereever you like, they don't own the car park, you have as much right to be here as they do"...
  • They have been there day-after-day doing several hour long late afternoon surf lessons forever and never needed to urgently move before...(and this was early in the morning with a largely empty car park)...
  • The minute we moved (and I *told* her - "Sure, we'll move if you insist, but I suspect you'll be saying this to people all day, won't you love..?") a stream of further cars then materialised exactly where we were parked...
  • In the end we left well before them *anyway*

Looks like taking up a career in surfing didn't manage to chill her out...perhaps an anger management course is in order, or a change of career, she obviously isn't suited to the lifestyle...(silly bunny ;)

Would you *really* like your introduction to the world of surfing to be from a flapping worrier, or a chilled out surf dude?

Cornwall 2006 #17
...and anyway, as I said, the surf was lame, quite how you could justify a surfing training session when there basically wasn't any is a bit of a mystery...you can see how packed the beach was...Anyway, nuff said I guess...
Cornwall 2006 #20
- I had a little paddle, water was absolutely freezing -
Cornwall 2006 #22
- and on it's way out when I was down there...strong coastal wind though, check out the "sea mist" in the background...(Private joke) ;)
Cornwall 2006 #23

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks really wild and wonderful, just love Cornwall, used to stay over Helston way by the Lizard. Never had a cam in those days though, shame.

Anonymous said...

the place seems to have really got your goat! I went there last year, had a fab time and some great lessons with the said surf school. Maybe you could do with some of your on advice in staying chilled :)

Unknown said...

Oh the place itself is absolutely wonderful, don't get me wrong! You couldn't ask for a more relaxing atmosphere...we go there usually twice a year *specifically* because it's so chilled out! My problem is with the surf school thinking they own the place...which they don't...it *almost* ruined my mornings PSP playing... ;)

ravensurf said...

I am only posting a comment on here to defend my wife who you have put down and insulted on the web!!!!! She is a laid back beautiful human being and would only ask some one to move if they were parking very close to us as we do get blocked in a lot in the summer ( not that surprising really!!)I have never seen her be aggressive ever!! we don't think we own the place. As for surf condition's I have been surfing for 33 years and wouldn't hold a surf lesson with out surf! What is your problem?? A small lovely young lady just asked you not to block us in and you attack her on the W.W.W add pictures and links put down our school. What is wrong with you Fink??? you need to have a word with yourself.
thank you to anonymous

Unknown said...

First off, let me just say that we *all* have off days...I'm sure your wife is normally wonderful and I'm pretty sure your surf school is fantastic (for the simple reason that, on the brief occasions I have been witness, it's always full and it *certainly* wouldn't be unless you could deliver the goods)...

So, please take this as an apology for my (albeit ancient) shockingly stroppy post, I like to think (through practice) my writing has come on a little since then...

However (and with careful regard to your previous comment), there is one point that I would ask you to take on board (har har), and that is that none of us were seeing her as you were (as your beautiful wife, whom you have sworn to protect), we were seeing her simply as "an employee of a company".

We're all entitled to our opinion (as members of the public) and (for right or for wrong) I do occasionally use my blog to get things that wind me up off my chest (I shoot, link and post pretty much every day, and have done for a few years now, so don't take it personally), a week or two later I was probably moaning at what someone else's wife or husband managed to do to "get my goat" (but who works for TFL and drives a bus or a train)...I also (when I have a good experience) dish up an equal measure of praise, trust me - that great meal will be online minutes after I get home, complete with pictures (descriptions of the aroma and flavour), links and glowing praise...I think you can probably see where I'm going with this...

This post was simply documenting what happened on that one day - territorial behaviour (no matter how out of character) in a public car park between a representative of "a business" and ourselves ("some holiday makers") - which is all we got to see of the way this company conducts themselves (unfortunately) and all I had to say on the matter, it was annoying because of x,y and z...in this case you are actually (although I'm sure it doesn't feel like it) lucky that I did it fairly publicly, easily allowing you to find me and attempt to remedy the incorrect (I hope) impression I was given of how your business operates)...

It's anyone that is made to feel unwelcome (or is unsatisfied in any way) and *doesn't* complain that is going to be your real problem. They'll slag you off to everyone they can, and you'll never know anything about it...Read Gordon Ramsay's new book, the principles of business you should be following are clearly outlined in there...

Just something to think about...

Anonymous said...

OMG its amazing they are in business with such a total lack of business sense, better hope your bank manager cant read google ravensurf

Anonymous said...

Har and you can see how full the car park was in the photo-like not at all! Looks like you wrong raven :S Did you not look at em pictures?