14 March, 2007

Andy Dean - an Ex-Pat in Canada

The "power of the interweb" never ceases to amaze me...I had a comment left on a previous post from a chap called Andy Dean, an Englishman by birth (which occured at some point in 1931, making him about mmmf years old), a confectioner by trade, who decided to emigrate to Canada (sometime in 1957) for "purely economic reasons" asking me if I wouldn't mind (as he spotted that I hung out in the Earlswood area) getting in touch with him (and his wife Lelia, a nurse) to share a little of what has changed about the area in the last 50 years...(probably quite a lot)...

Of course, that was no problem, Andy...(even though you were cheeky about my nickname, heh... ;)

I have offered to go and shoot some pics of his old haunts - his old house in St Johns Road (should it still be standing), and what of the garden I can get access to, the factory he remembers which stood behind (should that still be there), the hospital where his wife used to work (which I happen to know is still standing, but is now luxury flats)...that kind of thing, and I thought I would post them here also (for our mutual amusement)... ;)

Just need some daylight now to go on a shooting expedition (the commute means I normally see Earlswood in dusk/darkness at the moment, which isn't great for shooting architechture)...

More on this when I have it... ;) Oh and Andy, if you have any pictures of what the place used to look like back when you lived there, I would be very interested to see... :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very small world indeed, I had a mail from a girl in the US the other day. They want to use some of my old black and white family pics on an album cover. she says I'll get a copy when it's done. We'll see.

Unknown said...

Never know, might be true! ;)

Unknown said...

Ask for an mp3... ;)

bigbluemeanie said...

Sorry Fink, I was in the neighbourhood this afternoon and "muscled in" on your project. I got the first photograph.

The road is narrow - narrower than one would imagine from the original photo. You can see why almost everyone has turned the front garden into off-street parking...