25 March, 2007

Volksworld Show 2007

Volksworld 2007 #41
So the Volkswagen season has arrived again! Woo Hoo! The first date in the calendar is the Volksworld Show (which takes place at Sandown Park), pics of the last two shows can be found here and here (if you are interested, of course)...

However, things (once again) didn't go easy, in fact, pretty far in the exact opposite direction actually...the "Curse of Colin" (as it is becoming known) struck again, and this time, it was personal!

First off, we stopped in Reigate to get a bit of cash out (had a shopping list for the autojumble), Flyingpops parked next to the tiny Pizza Hut and I hopped out and walked jovially up the road, humming to myself, around the corner, popped the card into the Barclays cash machine, grabbed the money and the print out, came around the corner again (tucking it away into wallet) and noted, casually, that Flyingpops was no longer sat in her seat, but in the back of the bus, not only talking to someone on her mobile, but also waving at a passing VW Beetle ("Aw", I thought...)...but as the occupants of the Beetle passed me by, I spotted, with no little amount of alarm, that they were all looking back at Colin and were in a heated debate, pointing in that direction - my narrowed eyes flicked back down the road and I *immediately* (less than a heart beat) broke into a world record beating sprint as a car swerved round Colin, driver gesticulating rudely...

It was rolling down the f*cking hill...!!!!

Flyingpops was none the wiser, I could see her, poking around in the boot, still talking on her mobile - everything went into slow motion, I could see Colin gradually getting faster and faster, more cars clocking what was happening and swerving out of the way every second - I ran into the road, wildly waving my hands to warn oncoming drivers we had a problem (God only knows what they must have thought I was doing)...and what felt like an eternity later, I managed to grab hold of the passenger door, screamed something unintelligible (probably) at Flyingpops and used all my strength to try and slow poor Colin down before we really did hit something...

She calmly continued her telephone conversation, but did hurry up to the drivers section and stamp on the break (luckily before I was stuck by anything, my adrenalin fuelled strength failed or Colin was bruised)...*phew*!

I think it took about ten minutes before my pulse returned to normal...and when it did, I replayed the whole thing in my mind (in wild eyed silence), but with Mr Bean, or "One foot in the grave" canned laughter accompanying our every move...honestly, you couldn't make it up any better than that, and you would think that's all anyone deserved for one day...but, dear reader, we aren't at the end of this sorry tale... :(

We got over to Flyingpops' folks, gathered her mum with her T25 (so it was now "Colin and Co." I guess) and headed back-road way to Esher, didn't get a shot, but a number of their bins in the town centre said "Please keep Cambridge Tidy", which I thought was a little odd)...Anyway, got to Sandown park (without further incident), weather was even starting to look promising (nothing like as good as on the last two outings, but hey) -
Volksworld 2007 #1
Volksworld 2007 #78
- I cooked us some nice breakfast (did toast and filter coffee for Flyingpops and her mum and I had Earl Grey with a nice dry cure bacon sarnie) -
Volksworld 2007 #2
- we finished eating, got all our stuff together, started locking up the buses, Flyingpops' mum went to close her side door, and as she did so, the back window just literally fell to bits!!! Glass showering all over the place! WTF??
Volksworld 2007 #3
So, while she got on the phone to her insurance people, Flyingpops and I got creative with a plastic bag and some gaffer tape (as it was threatening to rain) -
Volksworld 2007 #4
- and then had to leave her with the buses awaiting the promised window crew's arrival...so we had a little walk around, spotted these Beetle jelly moulds and cake cutters -
Volksworld 2007 #8
- had a nose around the show and shine (best of the year at Volksworld usually ;) -
Volksworld 2007 #9
- and the auto jumble -
Volksworld 2007 #12
- oh, spotted these hilarious stickers playing on the old classic EMPI "Caution, Do not lower the window at speeds in excess of 120 M.P.H.", should have bought the cooker one really... ;)
Volksword 2007 #13
- A few more sights follow -
Volksword 2007 #14
Volksword 2007 #15
Volksword 2007 #16
Volksworld 2007 #23
Volksworld 2007 #24
Volksworld 2007 #26
Volksworld 2007 #28
Volksworld 2007 #30
Volksworld 2007 #32
Volksworld 2007 #35
- Oh and check this out, a new drag racing flat-4, in the style of a massively lowered bus! Back view -
Volksworld 2007 #38
- and front view -
Volksworld 2007 #40
- can't wait to see what it can do down the strip at Bug Jam!!! ;) Bought some new hub caps for Colin (as we only had two, and they were both plastic and broken) -
Volksworld 2007 #44
- and here they are in situ, I think I need to get the wire brush out and pain the wheels though, they look a bit stange at the moment, so shiny against the rust... ;)
Volksworld 2007 #46
We got back and Flyingpops (finding the glass hadn't been fixed yet) went into one of her "episodes" that one day will perhaps result in a compulsory anger management course, and verbally assassinated a large number of weekend call centre staff, who will no doubt go home and commit suicide (well, the bad ones, anyway), and it finally appeared that there was no way that bit of glass was going to be fixed today. So, I volunteered to guard camp (watched a movie on the Shinco, no worries) while they did a tour of the stuff inside, then we found some tarp in the back of Flyingpops' mum's bus, and wedged that in for the drive home...
Volksworld 2007 #47
Not a day that went quite as expected... ;)

Anyway, loads more pics here on my flickr stream (if you like this kind of thing)... :)

Update - a bit of Gickr action for you -
Gif animations at Gickr.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou both for a fun day out in the vw's, I had fun and hopefully the window will be fixed by Tuesday afternoon. Life is never dull when you drive a vw, perhaps I should not sell it, will have to think about it.xx

Anonymous said...

Blimey - what a day!! I was driving behind a VW a couple of weeks back on the way down to Worthing and was considering overtaking it when I noticed the front window went strangely opaque. It had completely shattered so I slowed my car down as I knew there was a bit of a queue behind us and also knew the dude in front wouldnt be able to see so was liable to do something surprising. Anyway, I stopped in front of the VW, checked the guy was ok - turned out he was on the way to the garage so I left him to it after suggesting he should probably smash the window before carrying on. VWs and spontaneously smashing windows.... odd.... having said that I think this was caused by a rogue stone

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering about St Christopher... he's certainly being put to the test...X

Anonymous said...

Oh dear FlyingPops, not one of your episodes!?!?! How funny, I know exactly the sort of conversation, having had so many myself. Perhaps we'll be sent to Anger Management together one day... Maybe Naomi will be there too. How lovely.

Unknown said...

Blimey, shades of 'Christine' sounds like a job for bell, book and candle.
It's usually other people on the road trying to kill you not your own baby. As for FlyingPops episodes, ya gotta let it out, I get like that every couple of days dealing with halfwits at call centres.

Anonymous said...

I must get this straight - I only go into 'work mode' when it’s absolutely necessary and RAC windscreens are completely and utterly useless!

Brilliant show - We love the VW scene!

Anonymous said...

"If no one else can help, and if you can find her, maybe you can hire..... Flyingpops"

Unknown said...

Hehe! Hilarious! :)