15 April, 2007

The Feathers, Merstham, Review

Feather Burger
So, last night I got told off by Flyingpops' mum for not updating my blog...*blush*...

Suffice it to say, yet again, things have been conspiring against me, being very busy at work, then annoyingly getting sick, then yesterday was spent helping Flyingpops' brother move house (typical that it was the hottest day of the year so far *pant*), but about 4*1.5 hour round trips (between the lock up where all the furniture was stored and his house in Merstham) later (filling Colin and Golf to the absolute limit each time) we were all done...hot and tired and dehydrated, for dinner, he kindly treated us to food and beer at "The Feathers" pub (just up the road from where he now lives)...and it really is a cracking pub, the selection of drinks on offer is both staggering (in it's diversity, beers from all over the world, both on draft and bottled) and shocking (in the odd things that you expect to be on offer, but are missing (Chinzano, for example)), the decor is inviting, the selection of board games (free for use) is second-to-none in Surrey and the food is largely rather accomplished.

From our covers the clear winner was the Chicken pie, fat and fine shoe pastry and full to the brim with chunky poultry, vegetables and gravy (but not what I ordered, curses...) the battered fish looked a little on the limp side (looking distinctly floppy in appearance), and was served up missing it's side dish of mushy peas, a quiet reminder to the (definitely new) waiter, resulted in it's appearance a (rather microwave obviously) short while later...the burgers (which I was rather disturbed to NOT be asked quite how I would like to be cooked upon ordering), turned up just on the well done side of medium (which was acceptable), on a nicely toasted bit of ciabatta, almost drowned in strong cheddar cheese (not sure I need quite so much, but at least it was completely melted), and served with a small heap of slightly overcooked (abandoned in trendy London pubs at least 18 months ago) "jacket wedges"...but I can let that slide, Merstham being out in the partial-sticks (just half-way between the real quality rural pubs and real gastro-London restaurant pubs)...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Feathers is my neighbourhood pub and I LOVE it there. The barmaids/men, the atmosphere, and the food is FANTASTIC! Thier menu is constantly changing and everything I have eaten there is always better than the last. I've never had a bad experience there.

Anonymous said...

OK So I went to the feathers today.......worst possible service, incompetent barmaids, food was alright but not worth the 4 hour wait that it took to get it.....I wish I were exaggerating about the wait but sadly I am not. I will NEVER GO THERE AGAIN!!!!

Unknown said...

Well, I wouldn't say it was terrible, certainly it's the best place to eat in Merstham (not that there is a huge amount of choice)!