19 November, 2007

Commuting in the rain...

Wharf in the Rain
...you know, apart from the small walk from the car at Earlswood, in theory I could do the entire journey to work under cover - across the concourse at London Bridge, down into the tube, then at Canary Wharf straight into the underground shopping centre, turn left at HSBC and up the stairs next to Birley Sandwiches and I'm right by the lifts actually inside 1 Canada Square...today though I braved the rain (using my Metro as a makeshift umbrella) -
Wharf in the Rain
- on the way in today I also made a good start at reading Derren Brown's book "Tricks of the Mind" (don't buy it from there though, Tesco have it on 2 for £7) which is absolutely excellent (thus far), even without a paper and pen (as advised), I managed to annoy the hell out of Flyingpops on the London Bridge train by managing to memorise and recite a list of *twenty* obscure words (both backwards and forwards) in order after only having spent about a minute studying the method! Very, very impressive...it's absolutely *everything* to do with technique and nothing to do with extraordinary powers of recall however...and in order to do it to demand you would definitely need a very quick and bright imagination...

I can see why Flyingpops was a little embarrased at me delightedly saying "Urm...Wigwam, Baby...urm...Kiwi...BED...paintbrush aaaaand WALNUT! Yes!", there were a couple of funny looks being levelled in my direction... ;)

2 comments:

boohoo said...

don't brain exercises like that help to stave off memory loss in old age? you'll be the only guy in the old folks home who knows he's actually there ;)

Unknown said...

Hehe...no, I think you have to get a Nintendo DS (if Patrick Stewart is to be believed)... ;)