08 October, 2008

Green Canary Day - Cardboard Canary Wharf

Cardboard Canary Wharf
More art, sorry to keep being so cultured, but I spotted this last week in the lobby of One Canada Square, it's called (ever-so-inventively) "Cardboard Canary Wharf" and was constructed by artist Nicky Burrell in order to help celebrate "Green Canary Day" (which actually seems to go on for two days, and is now in it's seventh year apparently), there were supposed to be a lot of other things going on in order to promote environmental friendliness, but this was the only bit that I managed to stumble upon (a number of them only taking place on Saturday or only between the hours of 10am and 3pm which kind of ruled my participation out)...
Cardboard Canary Wharf
Still, quite a clever piece, I especially liked the little Jubilee Park, complete with tiny cardboard water features and trees...wouldn't have fancied making all those little windows on the buildings though...actually it looks like the artist got a bit tired of it too, the closer you get to the river the less detail seems to be in evidence... ;)

Wonder if it went in the recycling afterwards?

(only kidding ;)

5 comments:

boohoo said...

I have to admit to loving minature versions of cities. Very cute.

Unknown said...

It was really well done, wonder if she got a grant to go ahead and make it? I could imagine spending some of my time doing do if it were sponsored... ;)

nicola burrell said...

Hi
I am Nicola who created the sculpture of Canary Wharf, I couldn't make it up to see the sculpture and would really appreciate any pictures you might have taken of the sculpture. Would it be possible for you to send any?

Many thanks

Nicola

Unknown said...

Hi Nicola, it's only these two I'm afraid, and they were only mobile phone shots, but you are welcome to them if you can give me an email address to send them to?

nicola burrell said...

nicola.burrell@ntlworld.com

Thanks