07 July, 2010

Remembering 7/7...

Wow...here we are, five years on...I was very new to blogging (and regular writing in general) at the time, and found myself stumbling around in the middle of a massive terrorist atrocity (based, as I was at that time in Kings Cross - where the most devastating attack would take place - killing 26 people deep underground) and reacting to the whole affair by documenting it (oddly being picked up by several global media entities and linked to as I was learning what it meant to be a citizen journalist)...

This is just a re-post of what I wrote at the time - all the way back in 2005 - as details were starting to emerge (my first reaction - strangely, as most people were rooted to the spot - had been to grab my camera and run from my desk down to see what was happening)...my other posts from later that day (and subsequently) are around here and here...

"Latest reports say there have been at least 2 explosions across the capital, one in Kings Cross where I am...
Click for a larger image...
Walking around there are police and fire brigade everywhere, as I was taking these shots a police officer said "You really don't want to be anywhere near that station, fella"...(he didn't have to tell me twice)...
Click for a larger image...
I didn't take any pictures of them but lots of people had soot all over their faces...there are two helicopters overhead and sirens and flashing lights everywhere...
Click for a larger image...
Everything was locked off behind the police line (I had missed it by coming up the side of the station, so kind of ended up in the middle of the closed bit...
Click for a larger image...
The sheer number of people just standing around in the road was unbelievable...everyone is calm though, there is more an air of excitement than panic, which is quite strange..."
Click for a larger image...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I only just realised it was 7/7. Probably because my head is up my bottom (or more accurately, Harry's). I was working in town on 7/7/05 too. I went in a bit later than usual so got to Victoria at about 9 to find people fighting to get on buses so I knew the underground was down. Halfway to Chelsea where I was working at the time, a hush came across the bus, people talking on their mobiles, (while they still HAD a signal) saying Oh my god and the like. I walked up the Kings Road in a daze, speaking to Simon on the phone just not believing what he was telling me. Got to work and watched the telly most of the day as the advice was to keep employees at work as they didn't know whether there might be more attacks. Sends a shiver down my spine even now and I wasn't even near to any of the bombs like you were. I feel that London was changed forever that day. Bad times.